July 14, 2012

Schooooool's out, for Summer


So it’s July 14th & I’ve now spent 2 birthdays in Sierra Leone. Both have been filled with friends, drinks, laughs, and happiness so thank you for all the well wishes from home.

A lot has happened since I last wrote! Most importantly, I made it through my first year of teaching. In the end, it was definitely more rewarding and more challenging than I had expected. The language barrier, the unprofessionalism of some fellow teachers, and the frequent cancellation of school all contributed to making things, lets say, more difficult in effectively teaching my classes. Even still, the few kids that did care or tried to learn despite everything working against them, made my time entirely worth it. I’ve said it since day one, the kids are my best friends here and I’m very proud of all of my students that are genuinely interested in their education.

My family (plus Gab!) also came for a visit during my April break between Term 2 and 3. They even surprised me and brought Devon, which couldn’t have made me more ecstatic. I was so happy to see them all, and even happier to share my new life with them. They now know how slow moving a typical day actually is here in Fadugu, how kind & caring my neighbors and friends are, how horrible/frustrating/tedious transportation around the country is, how little privacy I get, and most importantly how content I am with all of these things. Their trip was not without bumps, however, and they all managed to get sick from the local food and the palm wine (we suspect). But we got to recuperate at a beautiful beach and they handled it extremely well (especially Gab! What a trooper- no better way to kick start a summer diet, right?). Overall, the week they were here was one of my favorites and made me realize how much I actually miss everyone from home. You’re all in my thoughts, be back this Christmas!

Another milestone to my time spent here is my (eventually successful) battle with malaria. Now, you may have heard that malaria is nothing more than a glorified fever. I know that’s what I was told. I’m here to testify that this is NOT TRUE- it is so much worse. It kicked my ass, let me recover small, then kicked it some more. Besides my 104 fever, I couldn’t even open my eyes for basically an entire day because it hurt too much. I didn’t really eat or get out of bed for 4 days, but I survived! And 10 pounds lighter, no less. I mean, the whole thing just makes me seem like I really live in Africa, no? Rest assured, I’m completely recovered and am happy for another story to tell. My mom, on the other hand, now has 100 more grey hairs. Sorry mom!

School should start back up in early September, but I have plenty to keep me busy until then-- beach trips, a volunteer wedding, training of the new guys, our mid service conference, and saying goodbye to the first group of volunteers. I’m looking forward to all of the above (except the goodbye part!) and I’m sure you’ll hear an update about everything… in about 6 months.

Like I mentioned earlier, I’m coming home for Christmas this year and I’ll most likely be staying through New Years. Please clear your schedule, I’d love nothing more than to see each and every one of you. I’m very excited-- to be completely honest, mostly to stuff my face with tacos, margaritas, shrimp pasta, martinis, apple pie, bagels… you get the picture.

On that note, I hope this finds you happy & healthy. My life here is full of love, and I wish the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment