August 22, 2011

Relaxation, Africa style

So I've been at site now for over a week. I still have to get some shelves, tables and couches made, but other than that I'm pretty moved in. I want to buy some paint and make it more cozy (read: it's still dingy and dark) but overall I feel very content with where I'll be living for the next 2 years. My puppy Snoop has a lot to do with making me feel less lonely, as does my cat Nala. I love them. Did you know I love animals?

Life in Africa is very relaxing. If you're not one to take pleasure in having nothing to do but read, go hiking, or talk with neighbors on verandas, then life in Africa is not for you. I, on the other hand, am loving it. It's simple and serene and my town is gorgeous; I couldn't ask for more. There are talks of a teacher's strike because the government hasn't been paying anyone, but I very much hope that doesn't happen. I'm really excited to start working. The 3 weeks of summer school during training made me realize how much I actually like teaching. School is supposed to start September 12th, so here's to hoping it does.

Until then you can find me under a palm tree reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment